Tuesday 4 August 2020

England – Life in Lockdown

March 26-June 19

Hello everyone!

I haven’t written a blog in a while. I’d imagine it’s fairly obvious why…

Chopping branches - not part of my daily routine
It may feel like that, but this is actually a place
in Sussex. It did look quiet though...

I got out of Malawi and back to my parents’ house in the UK before the country locked down its borders. Many reasons for leaving, many for staying.

If I had stayed in Malawi, when would be the
next time I would see my family back home?

Hannah and Mini are not in the UK, which does make it hard at times

I haven’t been ‘home’ this long since leaving for Korea as a fresh-faced, slightly beer-swollen 21-year-old. Eleven years on, it’s a very different experience. The main difference is that my parents don’t live in my childhood home of Cardiff. They live in Sussex, in the southeast of England. I’ve visited many times. Never for long, though.

Middle. Of. Nowhere. But not that far from Brighton.

I was last here for Christmas

I arrived within a week of Boris announcing the big lockdown. Not much was open during this period and besides, the last thing I would want to do is fly halfway round the world to then catch Covid in the UK and introduce it to my parents. This, as well as not having a car, is why I haven’t been able to volunteer. I did join a community WhatsApp group but couldn’t do much without transport, which is a shame.

My reusable mask - not great with a beard... 
  
The WhatsApp group mainly got prescriptions and
groceries for people who are shielding

So how can I write under the guise of a travelling teacher at this time, you ask? Well it turns out this little country is full of little wonders. After doing my seven days of quarantine, I started to use a website which shows a labyrinth of public footpaths criss-crossing the nearby fields.
All that red and purple shows the nearby footpaths and bridleways

Just across that field, mate...

These footpaths are generally easy enough to follow…

There are plenty of these to help

Some of the paths do use the main road as well

The weather was stunning, making it a great opportunity to explore the paths less travelled. Many of these are through farmland or dense woods, which would be quite muddy in the rain…

A lovely field of harebells - not lavender as I thought

Near our house is a stables with some lovely horses

And though it has been glorious weather (makes you wonder how much cash pubs and cafes would have raked in), there was the occasional reminder of April showers…

Takeaway beer from the local - I think my Dad has kept them in business


These trails have meant going on many long runs. I’ve kept up my Saturday morning routine from Malawi – running early, followed by scrambled eggs on a bagel.

They did not provide the eggs


My longest run before the end of the school year, just over 24km

Keeping traditions alive - and adding spinach because I can 

When I wasn’t out walking, or squashing the grass in the garden doing HIIT, I found plenty to keep me occupied inside. From jigsaw puzzles to sending Facebook messages to everyone in my contact list, there’s been plenty to take my mind away from the current turmoil affecting the outside world.

This was easier than it looks

A highlight was catching up with friends
from Cardiff one night

It’s also lovely to spend quality time with my parents. Whether they shared that view as I made them participate in a 30-day planking challenge is debatable. What’s been nice to see is their very local community come together and get to know each other more through events such as a VE Day street party.

Rummikub and Backgammon have had plenty of use

Day 30 was a 5 minute plank. Go on, try it. Dare ya.



One way of saying thanks to my parents for letting me stay with them at this time is by cooking. I’m a decent cook these days. Many ingredients which aren’t possible to get in Malawi are easily accessible here, allowing for a bit of creative cooking. Never making quinoa brownies again, mind. Rank.

Moroccan chicken

Sweet potato open sandwiches

Of course, I had to work as well. My niece and nephew’s bedroom was transformed into a classroom. The bunk bed stayed, which raised eyebrows about what I was really doing in staff meetings. It’s been a challenge but I’ve been amazed by the tech capabilities of these 6-year-olds. It also made me realise how quickly the tech world changes – this wouldn’t have been possible when I started teaching 10 years ago.

My classroom from 8am to 11:30am most weekdays

Vat of tea - needed with online challenges and 6-year-olds

Clearly this isn’t how I saw my year going. This isn’t what anyone wanted. We all miss people and things, many people have felt tested and stressed. I’ve had bad days as well as the good ones shown here in the pictures. But most people are trying to make the best of a really bad situation, and it’s been heartening to see. I’ve been very lucky with my situation and, from a selfish perspective, have had a relatively comfortable and enjoyable three months since returning in March. 

Oh that beard...


Love you all and stay safe,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment