Tuesday 10 January 2023

Dominican Republic - Soaring in the Dominican Alps

January 2-4


Hello everyone!


Though the DR is renowned for its beautiful beaches, there is only so much time I can spend by the sea before getting a bit restless. Luckily this country has plenty of surprises inland…


Flying high in Jarabacoa...

...after getting low in the white
water rapids of the Jimenoa river

One surprise was how mountainous the country is. A Caribbean island with a mountain which is over 3000 metres high? An area known as the Dominican Alps with panoramas I’d associate more with El Salvador than places such as Cuba or the Bahamas.

It's not this peak, but the high point
of Pico Duarte is 3,087 metres tall

River flow from Salto de Jimenoa Uno waterfall

This area is known as the Cordillera Central, which is found by two national parks. To the east of these, and a little bit lower in altitude, is the peculiarly busy town of Jarabacoa.

A nice climate for bananas to grow

One of the main streets in Jarabacoa

Tough to pronounce (ha-ra-ba-co-ah), tough to get to from Cabarete (involving a minibus locally called a guagua, then two big yellow buses)...totally worth it. 

Total travel time from Cabarete was about 5 hours


A stock photo of a guagua

Jarabacoa sits on the Jimenoa river. This river flows northwest from the Cordillera Central and joins the larger Yaque del Norte soon after flowing through the town. It passed by my hotel, providing a relentlessly tranquil background noise.

The water is cold!

View from a walkway at the Gran Jimenoa Hotel

The river is the basis of two of Jarabacoa’s main draws. One of these is a series of waterfalls set below the town. I visited one of these, called Salto de Jimenoa Uno. I’m sure it is Uno, even though Google Maps suggested that I was at Dos.

Can you see it in the distance?

The hike down to the waterfall is quite steep in places

One of the opening scenes of Jurassic Park was filmed here. Based on the fact that filming also occurred in Santo Domingo at Los Tres Ojos, I feel that the DR was a popular spot for the franchise. I can see why.

Apparently it's 75 metres high. It didn't seem that tall...

Salto de Jimenoa Uno

As well as waterfalls, this river is the only place in the Caribbean where you can go white-water rafting.

The river is almost 300 km long


Rapids are graded one to five, with five being the highest and most extreme rapids you can encounter. Though the names such as ‘Mike Tyson Senior’ and ‘The Cemetery’ suggest something terrifying, these rapids are classed as two and three.


We had three boats on the water


Even though there were 12 people signed up, I was put in my own boat along with a guide and a photographer who would jump out at random times and scale rocks to take photos.


My guide, who was...enthusiastic...


One particular highlight was an area my raft guide described as ‘the Dominican dishwasher’. It was funny seeing other boats be thrust into the plunge pool. I didn’t realise that my turn was coming…


Shoving me and the raft into the 'dishwasher'


Getting a view from the river is lovely but I was keen to get another perspective. An aerial one…


Looking west towards the Dominican Alps

About 11 minutes of wonder with this

I’ve done parasailing before but never flown this way over land. We started mid-morning due to the dew on the grass - remember, we are in ‘the Alps’. I was collected from ‘base’ and driven up a muddy, bumpy road for quite a long time before arriving at…well, nothing much…

Base camp

Setup on the hill before take-off

The instruction was simple: walk quickly, then sprint when I heard the word ‘run’. It all happened fairly quickly so I didn’t really have time to think about the fact that I was trying to run off a hill…

The town of Jarabacoa


The thrill of leaving the floor took my breath away. Such an exhilarating feeling. Such a ridiculous view.


The selfie stick was attached to the
harness so no risk of it falling!

Stunning views all round


This was a brilliant experience. Even though I seem to make some strange noises in the video below, the landing was enjoyable and smoother than I thought it would be. I’d equate the drops to being on a rollercoaster when your stomach seems to stay in position whilst the rest of your body moves along. Paragliding was amazing.

Pack-up at the end was surprisingly quick and easy


I had never heard of Jarabacoa before planning my route around the Dominican Republic. It has been the most pleasant surprise and offers something unique in the Caribbean. Definitely worth a visit if you have the chance.





My time in Jarabacoa: as sweet as a
churro filled with dulce de leche


Love you all,


Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment