Sunday 22 March 2020

Malawi – Quarantini’s, anyone? – Pre-quarantine

March 8-10
The Beginning

Hello everyone!

March is a great month in Malawi – lots going on, beautiful settings at the tail end of rainy season, pushing towards the end of our academic year. None of this I can experience in 2020.

Last time outside for a while!

Internet picture of Malawi building a quarantine/testing centre

This is the first diary entry of my time in quarantine due to coronavirus (which I didn’t have). Quite liking the job I have at the moment, it only lightly touches on school decisions and policies so that I don’t write something which can be used against me. This first blog will focus on the days leading up to self-quarantine, and my feelings during them.

A WhatsApp screen grab of the Malawian situation as we left

To those who haven’t seen previous blog entries, this story starts in The Hague, where I was leading a Model United Nations (MUN) trip for the secondary school…

Brr...

Day -2 (Sunday, 8th March)
Our final day at the HagaMUN conference. More pertinently to this tale, this was the day when, at 1:20pm in The Hague, we received an email from the director of our school. This message explained that the school’s ski trip, which had been in France, had been met by a government delegation at Kamuzu International Airport in Lilongwe that morning. They had been taken aside and told that they had to quarantine for 14 days. Due to a combination of this and anxiety among other school parents, the decision had been taken that those on the MUN trip would also have to self-isolate upon our return on Tuesday.

The school is in a building which is old
enough to have survived many a virus

At this time there had been about 300 or so cases in The Netherlands, and 2 deaths. Further research revealed that only 2 cases had been in or around the area of The Hague. In spite of this, I accepted the consistency of the school on the matter – if the government had stepped in, they had to follow their procedure.

The global response is clearly visible
around The Hague

I wonder how their business is going right now...

After making contact, both our director and heads of school both offered supportive messages. The key was to reassure the children – they are all children – that everything was going to be fine. This is in spite of the fact that both teachers on the trip had dozens of questions whizzing through our brains, from living arrangements to teaching. I wanted them to bask in the glow of their personal successes at the MUN conference for a bit, and we all went out for food before returning to the hotel, where I sat them down and explained the situation.

The Food Hall was cashless, which I guess helps reduce germ spread

The conversation was a tough one – a few tears were shed, questions were asked which I often couldn’t answer. The important facts I stressed time and time again over the next 36 hours were that we were allowed to go home, and that we were allowed to be at home.

Main feelings: acceptance, nervousness

Day -1 (Monday, 9th March)

Quarantine from coronavirus involves staying at home for 14 days, with no option to enjoy the outside world. Our final day in The Netherlands was thus a final chance to walk freely, to roam and savour an ever-changing environment.

A stroll along Scheveningen Pier

The Sun briefly showed itself, though it was still pretty cold

The students spent the morning shopping – I spent it being swept up by consumerism I can’t experience in Malawi. I also spent it stressed. Very stressed. So many questions.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeese

These got me through one WhatsApp call

What would happen with Hannah? With Mini? Had a cover teacher been organised? Would we even be let into the country?

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I wasn't allowed to use my
reusable cup due to new rules linked to coronavirus

Lots of this was assessed and animatedly discussed over cross-continental WhatsApp calls and from constant checking of governmental advice and so on. It was also happening when strolling along Scheveningen Pier for a final time, before travelling to Schiphol Airport to begin our journey back to Malawi. This part is usually the most stressful time for a trip leader. With this on top, I felt like I was going to spontaneously combust. Though that may have been that fourth cup of coffee…

Main feelings: anxiety

Day 1 (Tuesday, 10th March)
Should it be day zero? I was technically in quarantine for over half of this day so I’m counting it as day 1. Anyway, we arrived at the airport fully expecting to be whisked off by government officials, have our temperatures taken and locked into our houses.

We had to complete this form on the plane, with the main
question being whether we had been to China recently

None of this happened. The airport had put out chlorinated water in big buckets, which we were to use to wash our hands. Entering the airport and proceeding to the first checkpoint, we were asked where we had come from.
‘The Netherlands’
Had we been anywhere else?
‘No’
On you go, she says. Same at immigration. I’m wondering when this medical task force will storm in in their masks and white coats, demanding our contingent stay two metres away from anyone else.

Part of a leaflet handed out at immigration at the airport

It never happens. Nothing is mentioned. Nothing happens. Parents meet children, the bus drops us home, the trip is over.

Part of a leaflet handed out at immigration at the airport

And the house arrest is beginning.

My home and where I will be for quite a long time...

Love you all,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment