Friday 20 March 2020

The Netherlands – Happiness in The Hague

March 2-9

Hello everyone!

As part of my job, I lead the Model United Nations activity for middle school at our school. The main event for this activity is going abroad to participate in an international conference each year. In 2018 we went to Rome. Last year we went to Dubai. This year we were off to the land of clogs!

I guess you have to make your bike stand out amongst the crowd!

Clearly The Hague knew I was coming

That's The Netherlands, by the way. Specifically, we were going to The Hague, the seat of government of this small European country. Not a place I've been before, and somewhere that has honestly never been on my radar. I knew next to nothing about it.

Probably not a government official

I did know about Dutch cheese - look at the size of those wheels!

What I did know what that there are some important international institutions here. The International Criminal Court is here...and on the side of a busy highway. No chance of walking by there, then. The International Court of Justice is also here. One day I decided to see where it was and found it on a map. Turns out we'd already walked past it twice, mistaking it for an old school or historic building.

We flew via Kenya to Amsterdam, then took a bus to The Hague

The ICJ is in the Peace Palace, which opened in 1913

The ICJ is, of course, a historic building. The city itself, known locally as Den Haag, is also steeped in history. The Dutch centre of Parliament, the Binnenhof, is located in the centre of the city.

Having been the seat of government since 1584, it is
one of the oldest Parliament buildings still in use today

The complex includes the office of the PM of the country, currently Mark Rutte

Being the Dutch seat of government means that there are many embassies, and the upshot of this is a very international vibe to the city. It’s an opportunity for me to return to familiar brands and shops, and a reminder of how different Europe is compared to much of Africa.

There are 111 embassies in The Hague, and many more ambassadors

Mr Smith runs on Dunkin'!

I had my reusable cup but wasn't allowed to use it in Starbucks
due to the threat of Covid-19 transfer. I didn't want this cup! 

Coming from Malawi, this is a completely different change of pace. Lilongwe has thousands of bikes like The Hague, but doesn't have allocated bike lanes. Wide lanes too, not like the excuses of lanes used in places like London. The number of times I had to shout 'BIKE!' to our group as they were accidentally walking in a bike lane was exhausting.

Bikes: popular

The trams were an efficient way of us moving around the city

Another ‘lane’ we took during our time in The Hague was the canals. Not nearly as many as Amsterdam. For some reason, we had agreed to go kayaking on these canals. In early March. When the temperature was about 6°C. That too was exhausting. As well as heart-stopping whenever a bit of water splashed over you from your paddle. The emergency hot chocolate stop, and radiator, in a nearby coffee shop (not that kind of coffee shop) was appreciated by all.


I'm sure it's very pleasant in summer!

I actually really enjoyed the kayaking


Modern skyscrapers and the Binnenhof make for an interesting skyline

As The Hague is on the western coast of The Netherlands, that water goes out to the sea. The North Sea. A body of water that most don’t want to swim in. There are beaches but…March. Best to observe the waves crashing from Scheveningen Pier instead.

A lone beach walker braving the wind

The pier in its modern form opened after World War 2

The pier itself has many activities, such as bowling and arcade games, which people take for granted in Europe but aren’t available in Lilongwe. Within the city itself there are pleasures which you may see as simple and common but to some in our group were novel – some had never been to the cinema. Come to think of it, I can’t exactly remember when I last went to the cinema. 2016, maybe?

We also spent time in a trampoline park, situated in an old church

Walking the old streets at night

It may seem as though I’m pining for a European re-Union (I need to let Brexit go at some point, maybe in about 50 years). I’m not – I love my life in Malawi and am currently typing this while getting distracted by a glorious sunset of mauve and yellow. I had this life – the trams, the grey days, the easy access to what you want – for three wonderful years in Prague. It’s nice to experience European culture, history and development every once in a while – in doing so, it reminds me of how fascinating my daily life is in Lilongwe.

Kayaking in temperatures that simply don't happen in Lilongwe

A herring sandwich - not something I need again

I was pleasantly surprised by The Hague as a place to visit. I knew next to nothing before arriving and will take back many happy memories, as well as a belly full of sushi and schnitzel.

#yum

A main square in The Hague

The Sun came out just in time for us to leave!

Love you all,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment